Laser Hair Removal in Glendale,CA
Laser hair removal is an increasingly popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure that became commercially available in 1996. Since then, customers all over the world enjoy this non-invasive and convenient method to reduce hair growth.
Here at Fix Laser & Skin Center we use two laser systems from Candela: GentleLASE and GentleMAX, both of which utilize Alexandrite and YAG lasers – safe and proven methods of the hair growth reduction.
How does it work?
The dark pigment in the hair follicle known as melanin absorbs the laser light energy. This light creates heat at the hair follicle cells and permanently disables them. Darker and coarser hairs respond better to laser treatment because it has more melanin. White, blond, grey, and light red hair do not respond well to laser treatment because they have less natural pigmentation and melanin.
Before your first treatment you will have an initial consultation with our board certified physician where you will be asked several questions about your medical status and conditions, any medications you are taking, sun exposure, and prior treatments. We highly recommend that you discuss the laser removal process with your physician if you have any medical conditions.
The treatment feels like a cold spray on your skin followed by a rubber band snapping. Some areas of the body are painless while some may be quite sensitive. Numbing creams are available for purchase prior to your treatment. The numbing cream needs to be applied at least 30 minutes before the procedure and it needs to be cleaned off completely prior to your treatment. If you are planning on using a numbing cream, make sure you come at least 30 minutes before your appointment to apply the cream.
What should I do before my laser hair removal treatment?
- DO avoid sun exposure, tanning salon procedures and tanning creams for 4 to 6 weeks prior to your treatment. In general, sun exposure and tanning is terrible for your skin in the long term, so stop tanning in order to minimize the risk of sunspots and early aging in addition to skin cancer. Stop spray tanning and using tanning creams for at least 3 weeks and exfoliate your skin to make sure that your skin is back to its natural color.
- DO NOT bleach, pluck, wax or tweeze the hair for 4 weeks before your treatment. You can either shave or use a trimmer to cut the hair in between treatments. Shave or trim the area to be treated 48 to 72 hours before your treatment.
- DO discuss any medications that might make you sensitive to light with your physician and our staff. Here is a list of some of the most common medications that can make your skin sensitive to light.
- DO apply your numbing cream 30 minutes to an hour before your treatment (that is, if you plan to use your own). If you are planning on purchasing the cream from our office, DO arrive early and allow enough time for the cream to work. Bring your favorite book, kindle, ipad or anything to keep you entertained – we will supply you with coffee, tea or water while you wait.
OK, I got the laser treatment, now what should I do?
Your skin in the treated area may be red and puffy after your treatment. This response is normal and the skin should return to normal within a few hours or up to 3 to 4 days. If the burning sensation, redness, or swelling persists after one to two days, call us immediately.
Hydrocortisone 1% cream and an ice pack may be used over the treated area as often as needed. Over the counter Benadryl tablets can also be used if the itching is severe.
- DO treat the skin gently for the first 24 hours after the treatment and avoid applying any irritating products to the skin.
- DON’T expose it to the sun to reduce the chance of pigmentary changes and DO use sun block (SPF 30+) when you go outside. Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin.
- DON’T use any other hair removal treatment products or treatments (waxing, electrolysis or tweezing) that will disturb the hair follicle in the treatment area for 4-6 weeks after the laser treatment is performed, and opt for shaving or trimming instead.
- DO note that from 10-21 days after the treatment, shedding of the treated hair may occur and this appears as new hair growth. This is NOT new hair growth. You can clean and remove the hair by washing or wiping the area with a wet cloth or loofah sponge. Also, some hairs or small patches of hair will remain on the treated areas after each treatment. They appear as “missed spots” but they are not. After 6-8 treatment sessions, all of those patches will be gone.
- DO use a powder instead of a deodorant for 24 hours after the axillae (underarms) treatment to reduce skin irritation.
- DO return to the office or call for an appointment when the hair starts growing. This may be within 4-6 weeks for the upper body and possibly as long as 8 to 10 weeks for the lower body. Hair re-growth occurs at different rates on different areas of the body in different people. New hair growth will not occur for AT LEAST three weeks after the treatment.
- DO call us with any questions or concerns you may have. Call us if you have any unusual symptoms such as burning, blistering or pain.
Contraindications to Laser:
Laser hair removal procedures cannot be carried out if you are pregnant or are currently using Acutane. You need to be off Acutane for at least 6 months before starting laser treatments. If you are breast-feeding, we do not recommend laser treatment over the breast and underarm areas.
If you have any other medical conditions including but not limited to epilepsy, seizures, advanced diabetes, multiple sclerosis, lupus, scleroderma, sarcoidosis, are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy, have a pacemaker, internal defibrillator or any other internal medical devices, or have tattoos or permanent makeup, please inform our office and obtain a letter of clearance from your physician for the laser procedure.
As a courtesy to other clients and our nursing staff, we ask that you notify us a minimum of 24 hours in advance if you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment.
No-shows will be charged a $50.00 administrative fee. If you have purchased a package with a series of treatments, the equivalent of $50.00 will be deducted from your package.